I have absolutely loved reading everyone’s posts from Amy Lemon’s linky party this week — it’s a window into your world and what makes you the person (and thus teacher!) you are. With several projects in the pipeline but still incomplete, I thought it would be fun to participate!
|The setup of our living room on election night, 2008 — it was a big deal!|
1. I did not set out to become a teacher — I actually set out to work in politics and the world of international diplomacy. Yep, quite a different world indeed! I’ve been a political/government/law nerd since I can remember; as a kid, I used to write mock speeches that I thought the current President or House Speaker should give. No, really. That’s just how much of a nerd I was (and let’s face it, still am)!
|The National Zoo is one of my favorite places to take my camera.|
2. Even after straying from politics/international relations, I still didn’t follow that little nagging voice that told me I needed to teach. Instead, I went to art school in New York City for photography. Like politics, I’ve always had a love of art — especially photography. There’s something about catching a single moment in time and freezing it forever that just sticks with you.
|I was so exhausted — all I wanted was a banana and some Gatorade!|
3. Despite struggling with a debilitating ankle injury my entire life (as well as being overweight), I decided to embrace life as if I didn’t have any limitations. And something really amazing happened — I became a runner. I run very, very very slowly, but I do it nonetheless. Last November, I completed my first half-marathon… despite a completely reconstructed ankle and every doctor I’ve ever had telling me it’d be impossible! What gave me confidence that I could do the marathon was this, which leads me to number four:
|Underneath all that mud were some pretty cut-up feet and legs!|
4. I love being barefoot. I own a pair of Vibrams, and live in them when I’m not totally barefoot. The picture above is what was the result of me completing a Marine Corps mudrace — only the second event I ever did as a runner. I started out wearing shoes but lost them in the second mudpit, which left me with 2+ miles on rocky terrain with the most difficult obstacles to overcome. I either had to do it barefoot, or I had to DNF the race, which I just could not bring myself to do! It’s a really good thing my feet are tough from all the years of me being barefoot willingly!
|William was Woody this past Halloween! Thank goodness for play pajamas!|
5. I love all things Disney, and cannot wait for us to be able to take William to Disney World! Both Mr. Plum and I will willingly watch most any Disney movie — especially Pixar. Our little guy has taken after us, so much so that if you quote most of the movies he’ll tell you which one you’re quoting! His current favorite is Monster’s Inc., but that rotates between Up!, Finding Nemo, and Incredibles quite regularly. (He’s also very, very into the Muppets.)
So there’s a few fun facts about me! Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a “Discovery” poster — I picked up mine from Costco this afternoon and will hopefully be sharing it tomorrow!